A twelve year old boy beaten up a Police run disco

A 12-year-old boy bashed at a police-run disco in Queensland says he is too scared to go back to school, amid fears the bullying will continue.

The boy, who does not want to be named, said six boys closed in on him at the Blue Light Disco at the Buderim basketball stadium, on the Sunshine Coast on Friday night.


“One jumped me from behind, strangled me and rode up on my back with his knees on my shoulder blade,” he told Channel Nine.

He said he was punched up to eight times in the face.

He suffered concussion and was taken to Caloundra Hospital but after being discharged he began vomiting, complaining of headaches and blurred vision and was admitted to another hospital.

He went home on Sunday morning.

He said he was too scared to go back to school.

“I’m fearful that there will be some implications – him coming back with a knife, or weapon, or a bat or something.”

His mother Lynette Bishop said she thought her son would be safe at the disco.

“Your heart just sinks. You just think, oh my God, you’re in a police controlled environment. How have you been bashed up?” she told Channel Nine.

“He didn’t provoke anyone, he didn’t say anything to anyone, he tried to walk away.”

She said the ringleader of the attack was another 12-year-old boy from the same school, who had been bullying her son for months.

Police are investigating and said the bashing appeared to be the result of an ongoing dispute between some youths who are known to each other.

They also said there is no information to suggest a large number of youths were involved in the physical altercation.

Ms Bishop called for harsher penalties for young thugs.

“These kids need to know that if they step out of line there is a hard and fast punishment coming their way.”

Buderim MP Steve Dickson echoed the call.

He said it was very brazen for the boys to launch an attack at a Blue Light Disco and believed they should face tougher legal consequences.

“The government should be talking to the legal system about punishing juveniles with a punishment that fits the crime,” he said.

“Unless we put something up to deter them it will continue.”

Premier Anna Bligh said Queensland had some of the toughest penalties for juveniles and rejected the idea of coming down harder on youth.

“We have a system where we try to get the balance right,” she told reporters in Brisbane.

She said police were working with the families and the schools of those involved in the attack.

“I trust that common sense will prevail and the issue involving both children can be resolved,” she said.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Abou Ali

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s